How to create bootable DVD or USB for your version of Windows 7

17 posts in this topic

Post #: 1   Posted

UPDATE.

It looks like links listed below don't work anymore and Microsoft took over.

So, to create your own Windows 7 DVD go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

====================================================

1. Download the ISO file for the version of Windows 7 you own:

2. Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
This utility lets you copy your Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive.
Whether you choose DVD or USB makes no difference; just confirm that your PC can boot to the media type you select.
Double click on downloaded file to install the tool.

3. Create Windows 7 USB/DVD.

• Click the Windows START button, and click WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL in the ALL PROGRAMS list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
  • In the SOURCE FILE box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click BROWSE and select the file from the OPEN dialog box. Click NEXT.
  • Select USB DEVICE to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.
  • If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click BEGIN COPYING. If you are copying the file up to a DVD, click BEGIN BURNING.

Post #: 2   Posted

Thanks Broni! Just bought a new 64 gig USB Flashdrive before my trip, good idea!

Post #: 3   Posted (edited)

The link appears no longer available, goes only to the Microsoft Store.

Edited by Bighorn

Post #: 4   Posted

A Search for the tool brings up a number of sites offering a small file of about 400KB used to start the installation to the computer. That limits its use to that computer where having the full application available would be preferred for use on other computers that may not have Internet service at the time. I finally did find the full 2.9MB file at Majorgeeks.

Post #: 5   Posted

Bighorn, I just did this a short time ago and don't think I used the downloader file. I just downloaded the ISO file from this post of Broni's , post 3.

Then I burned it to a dvd, using image burn, then stuck in computer and started computer.

ww

Post #: 6   Posted

I had already downloaded all 6 .iso files, was just trying to get that tool mentioned in #2 to use the other files with a USB Thumb/Flash drive.

Post #: 8   Posted

Not being particularly computer savvy I need some clarification of what this is all about.

1) Why do I need a bootable USB for Windows? (I have a CD (I think) somewhere that I got when I bought the computer - does this do the same thing?).

2) Is this a back up of my entire computer contents or just the basic Windows (whatever that actually is)?

3) What does it cost?

Sorry for being to basic, but you've got to start somewhere.

Post #: 9   Posted

I'll try to give you some reasons , first lets say you don't have an optical drive , or yours isn't working .

There are some laptops and netbooks and pads without an optical drive . Had to install an os

on one the other day , only cost for me was the thumb drive , actually ,which i already had .

Next , sometimes with a bootable , you can drag and drop files on the thumb drive , cannot do

that with cd or dvd .

Post #: 10   Posted

Used a bootable USB yesterday to salvage all the clients data off of her hdd. Stuff one would really hate to lose.

Then we were able to run the HP program to reset the windows back to factory.

She had about 132 GB of stuff that needed saving. She is purchasing a couple USB hdds today, so I will teach her how to back that stuff up.

She also will be ordering a a new dvd drive.

I lucked out, but would have made the Bootable Windows USB drive to reinstall Win 7 if i had to.

Post #: 11   Posted

2) Is this a back up of my entire computer contents or just the basic Windows (whatever that actually is)?

3) What does it cost?

It's not a backup. This DVD/USB is used to reinstall Windows cleanly which means all your data and installed programs are lost if you don't have any backup.

It costs nothing as long as you have valid Windows license.

Post #: 12   Posted

Thanks guys for replies.

Broni's succinct answer exactly what I needed to know.

So I need 2 things - First a back up of all my "stuff" and then make a Windows boot USB (I have lots of USB's).

I tried a back up once before, but the drive I put all the stuff on decided to stop working - period. So at this present time I don't have a back up, though I do have a spare laptop with some of my programmes on it, but not all.

Anyway thanks for that, I'll maybe look at back-up options.

Post #: 13   Posted

Well, you need some external hard drive for the backup.

Those are very cheap these days.

As for backup programs the best are imaging tools...

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
- Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp
- DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm (tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial160.html)
- SelfImage: http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21
- Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Post #: 14   Posted

Thanks for that - I'll have a look and see the options.

Post #: 15   Posted

Thanks for this Broni, I am trying this now. I have the original disc but my windows 7 wont boot to cd drive

Post #: 16   Posted

Microsoft Software Recovery is not currently working properly.

I just did a Repair Install of Win 7.

I initially attempted to get another copy of my retail disk from Microsoft's Software Recovery website. After I entered my key. I got a message that "The language (English) you've selected is not available for the product you're eligible for. Please select a different language."

I then tried to do the upgrade from a retail disk that does not have SP1 on it. That failed because M$ said that I was trying to perform the upgrade with a disk that was an earlier version of the os than what I was using.

I had not realized that they considered win 7 base and win 7 SP1 to be two separate operating systems.

eles