• Members
  • 7,960 posts
  • 780 topics
    • Time Online: 27d 19h 11m 42s
  • Joined October 07, 2004
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • Local time: 01:32 AM
  • Zodiac:Aries
  • Interests:Church, drums, fishing, and a bunch of other stuff.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Best Spark Plugs

http://www.bestcover...best-spark-plug

Spark plugs are a critical component of engine maintenance, yet many drivers remain unaware of this requirement. Old, worn, or dirty spark plugs will decrease your engine's ability to perform, as they will be unable to ignite the fuel/air mixture as efficiently as they should. Having good spark plugs will make your engine run smoother, cleaner, and consume less fuel. The best spark plugs make use of the latest technology and materials, and can achieve both high performance and durability without compromise.

149-fusion.master.gif

Why it's best: As the name suggests, the Bosch Platinum IR Fusion mixes two different materials together to increase performance. The center electrode contains a platinum/iridium blend, while the ground electrodes feature yttrium enhancements for better performance. These spark plugs are more expensive than standard platinum plugs. Read Full Review

DENSO-IRIDIUM-POWER-S-R46407.master.jpg

Why it's best: One of the main benefits of using iridium in spark plugs is its extremely high melting point - nearly 2500ºC. The Denso Iridium Power spark plug takes full advantage of this fact by using a fine-tipped 0.4 mm diameter electrode in place of the more traditional wide-diameter offerings. A standard electrode of that diameter would more than likely melt after prolonged use, but the Iridium allows for a more precise, controlled spark-to-ignition process. Combined with Denso's exclusive U-Groove pattern ground electrode, this allows the Iridium Power to handily outperform its competitors. However, this performance comes with a premium price tag - at more than three times the price of a standard spark plug, it's hard to make a case for the average, casual driver. If you are a performance enthusiast or a long-distance commuter, the cleaner burning capability and potential for increased fuel economy with the Denso Iridium Power may be worth looking into. Read Full Review

iridiumix.master.jpg

Why it's best: You'll find NGK spark plugs under the hood of many cars as they leave the factory, which shows just how well these spark plugs perform. The Iridium IX spark plug are practically maintenance-free, and reliably ignite fuel/air mixtures within the engine. Unfortunately, these spark plugs are pricier than the alternatives. Read Full Review

bn_iridium_plug.master.jpg

Why it's best: Aside from being an excellent overall spark plug, AC Delco Iridium spark plugs are used as original equipment in premium and high-performance products from GM. Thanks to the higher melting point that the iridium electrode offers, this allows a more powerful spark that would wear out standard spark plugs. The more powerful spark ensures a more thorough ignition of the fuel/air mixture, which means your engine will run cleaner and more smoothly. The AC Delco Iridium spark plug requires little to no maintenance, though it is always a good idea to check gap spacing every once in a while if you suspect that the spark plugs are becoming worn. These spark plugs are rated to last 100,000 miles, and will offer substantial performance for the entire duration of their useful service life. Read Full Review

fr3315.master.jpg

Why it's best: For the vast majority of drivers on the road today, the Bosch Platinum +4 can be considered the best all-around spark plug. The Platinum +4 achieves its high performance by featuring clever tricks such as employing four (as opposed to one) yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes. This creates a powerful, long-duration spark which is better suited to igniting the fuel/air mixture in any engine, high performance or not. This spark plug requires no gapping or maintenance - you can simply install these in the engine and 'forget' about them until the next time you need a tune-up. The price of the Bosch Platinum +4 falls neatly in between a traditional spark plug and Bosch's own Platinum IR Fusion model, meaning that these performance spark plugs can even be considered relatively affordable. Read Full Review

shirley_zps825995eb.gif

#2 MichaelJ Re: The Best Spark Plugs

MichaelJ

• Moderators
  • 14,106 posts
  • 559 topics
    • Time Online: 206d 15h 57m 59s
  • Joined August 07, 2012
  • Local time: 09:32 PM
  • Zodiac:Taurus
  • Interests:Running, fishing, pool, computering, reading and traveling.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

The spark plugs in the new vehicle you buy are the ones you should use, because you will not keep the vehicle for more than 5 years.

Motto_zps7b18602d.jpg

#3 Lewis Re: The Best Spark Plugs

Lewis

Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 7,960 posts
  • 780 topics

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

You are right Mike, but if you buy a used car, or is going past the limit of the plugs life change them.

shirley_zps825995eb.gif

#4 nodsh Re: The Best Spark Plugs

nodsh

$ Supporting Member

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • 32 topics
    • Time Online: 34d 18h 12m 8s
  • Joined February 21, 2012
  • Zodiac:Cancer

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Was one thing to do , change plugs and wires , now individual coils on some , only allow plugs to do which can

be difficult on some

was referring to one that had a lot of miles , nowdays not much to do , I remember the tune up days when

points and condenser and plugs were changed regular , was in school then .

Edited by nodsh, 13 April 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#5 Broken Club Re: The Best Spark Plugs

Broken Club

• Members
  • 2,150 posts
  • 148 topics
    • Time Online: 9d 4h 28m 23s
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • Local time: 12:32 AM
  • Zodiac:Scorpio

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

I use Platinum plugs ,with heavy duty wires .

Problem is i think one of the censers is going bad . They want $60.00 each just for the censer .

X 8 . no wonder it costs a few hundred dollars for a tune up .

#6 GB2064 Re: The Best Spark Plugs

GB2064

$$ Supporting Member

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • 163 topics
    • Time Online: 19d 22h 13m 49s
  • Joined July 20, 2012
  • Zodiac:Gemini
  • Interests:Photo and Video editing
    Gardening
    Target shooting
    Control line model airplanes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

MichaelJ

Five years?

DETROIT (AP) – The cars and trucks in America's driveways have reached a record old age.

The average age of the cars and trucks on U.S. roads hit a record 10.8 years as of July 1, 2011, as worries about job security the economy kept many people from making big-ticket purchases.

That's up from 10.6 years in 2010, and it and continues a trend that dates to 1995, when the average age of a car was 8.4 years, according to the Polk research firm, which studied state vehicle registrations.

You are really making me feel bad! LOL

My truck is an 88 Chevy Silverado  (25) years, and my car is an 86 Nissan Maxima (27) years, both still run like a champ!

And the best part is no payments!

Thank You!

A Nation of Sheep breeds a Government of Wolves!

#7 Lewis Re: The Best Spark Plugs

Lewis

Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 7,960 posts
  • 780 topics

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

My dad has a Infinite did I spell that right ? But anyway they want 800 bucks to tune it up. He also has a 1978 Cadillac with only 30,000 miles on it he bought it new in 1978, and a tune up if you do it yourself is about 40 bucks. Unless you are buying spark plug wires then it might go to 70 to 100 bucks. I do all my own tuneups I mean why pay people  to do what you already know how to do. Now if you want a great running engine, put top of the line spark plugs and wires in there, in conjunction with the other things that is supposed to be done with the engine. Like on older engines proper point gaping distributor cap changing and so forth. Now with newer vehicles people get scared, I use to be the same way. The thing with today's autos is that it is mostly run by electronics, but the principle remains the same. Check engine lights scare the daylights out of people. I have a OBD II scanner, so I can diagnose my own problems. The thing with me now is, I don't like the labor involved like if I have to put on tie rods or change a timing belt or timing gear. It seems that as I have become older, I just don't want to do that stuff anymore. But I do keep my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer detailed, even the engine.

shirley_zps825995eb.gif

#8 MichaelJ Re: The Best Spark Plugs

MichaelJ

• Moderators
  • 14,106 posts
  • 559 topics
  • Joined August 07, 2012

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Lewis you are right, working on old vehicles is fun, because you can work on them. I think newer vehicles should come with a laptop and the vehicle software so you can work on them, lol!

Motto_zps7b18602d.jpg

#9 Lewis Re: The Best Spark Plugs

Lewis

Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 7,960 posts
  • 780 topics

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Yeah Mike working on old cars is great, I really miss it. But today's autos are more reliable and last longer. You can get up to 250.000 miles out of today's autos, if you take care of them.

shirley_zps825995eb.gif

#10 MichaelJ Re: The Best Spark Plugs

MichaelJ

• Moderators
  • 14,106 posts
  • 559 topics
  • Joined August 07, 2012

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Lewis! Again my humor comes out! Look at Cuba and how the old cars are doing!

Motto_zps7b18602d.jpg

#11 rokytnji Re: The Best Spark Plugs

rokytnji

Linux Friganeer

• Moderators
  • 5,101 posts
  • 219 topics
    • Time Online: 54d 5h 19m 42s
  • Joined February 27, 2008
  • Local time: 12:32 AM
  • Zodiac:Aquarius
  • Interests:Motorcycles,Vodka,
    Mead,Cossacks,Runs,Linux.
    Own a small Bike shop. Have 6 running Harley Davidsons for personal use. Have a 1980 XLS that'll boot&scoot.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

No rust down here. My 63 F100 still cruises. Champion spark plugs in the Ford and my Harleys.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<oldest sportster runs champion.

I used to run and own a 1939 flathead 45 trike. But financial pressures, moving to pecos, made me sell it.

I wish I still had it but it was a 3 speed with reverse and ran hot in this desert heat.

475019.png
Free Linux Books USA

Self Service Linux - Mastering the Art of Problem Determination

Linux Command Guide

Linux Courses at Home

The Linux Live CD list

I Have a Masters in Raising Hell. So You Better Check it before You Wreck It.

Certified Total Geek @ http://www.innergeek.us

#12 nodsh Re: The Best Spark Plugs

nodsh

$ Supporting Member

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • 32 topics
    • Time Online: 34d 18h 12m 8s
  • Joined February 21, 2012
  • Zodiac:Cancer

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Mike i seen where they were needing the old points and condensers in Cuba , I had a 55 gal drum filled with them believe it

or not , and a lot of them were good and just changed under 10,000 because of a lot changing them that quick . They wanted

the old points and not the replacement electronic ones , i guess because of what they were familiar with .

#13 MichaelJ Re: The Best Spark Plugs

MichaelJ

• Moderators
  • 14,106 posts
  • 559 topics
  • Joined August 07, 2012

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Don, a friend of mine has made a lot of money in Africa by providing "used parts for old vehicles", he dismantles old vehicles, packages the old parts, and ships them to Africa, he has become a millionaire doing it!

Motto_zps7b18602d.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users