MarcyS

Uninstall and Reinstall IE 8 - OS is Windows XP

I am trying to assist a friend (early 80s) and not very computer literate. She is using Windows XP and IE8. In the last few days she has been unable to log into Criagslist (My Accoun). At the log in screen, she received message that IE is unable to display page. Does anyone have some simple guidance for me that will assist her. She lives too far away for me to go to her house and she has difficulty understanding what I tell her to do (over the phone).

Thank you very much

One thing you can try , it may be a workaround ,but might help . Since i always recommend to have

another browser on a computer , I would have her install " firefox " and see if that works .

The latest version of firefox for xp depends on her having ser pac 3 or not .

If this works , it gives more info on troubleshooting , sometimes when sites update their pages ,

older browsers may not handle , i have seen this in older versions of ie .

Maybe resetting her ie and verifying the time may help or lowering her security settings

just to see etc;

I have found firefox handles certain sites that xp ie couldn't .

Link to page? I want to see if it is java and flash heavy.

Age of computer would help also. Link to a review would be better. Modern browsing now requires sufficient hardware in Windows.

Also...

Reset Internet Explorer.
Download MIcrosoft FixIt file from here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9646978
You can use ANY browser to download "FixIt" file.
Double click on downloaded MicrosoftFixit50195.msi file to run the fix.
Make sure you follow ALL steps listed there.

This is just a comment for "Roky" , I do mention having another browser in windows , cause i've

found it to be necessary sometimes and it also helps to troubleshoot sometimes , cause that is

the is the way with windows . But i have to say when i use ubuntu or other distro's , firefox being

one of the mains ones . I"m happy with firefox , I 've have tried the others and some are good and

some aren't . But my main point is i have never needed another browser to troubleshoot linux but

i've had to with windows for just the regular use of the net and your , should i say corresponding

with the site you need too with imput or etc;

Reading your post nodsh. I think I'll install QupZilla before putting away this fresh dual booter XP and Carolina 1.2 Dell E5500 before I go to bed. Thanks for giving me a hint.