Dock

How to transfer folders and files

I have arrived here because a very good friend (I hope) suggested I join. She used to be my go to person for all related (XP) computer questions. I wanted to hang onto my Windows XP system until the Windows 10 came out but out but the sheer frustration trying to overcome the so many problems I have dealing with XP system I've capitulated and have decided to move all folders and files to a Vista system.

The Vista system is new, never used, was given to me last year when my friend passed on. I've started to move all "My Documents" to a back up hard drive when I came to three Retrospect folders.

I tried to Google Retrospect but can find relativly little or nothng about them. Here are the three folders and their sizes:

Folder 1: Retrospect Catalog 170 MB

Folder 2: Retrospect D Drive 711 MB

Folder 3: Retrospect Backup 33.6 GB

My backup hard drive is a WD USB with 110 GB used space and 122 GB free space. While the numbers add up that I should have room for these three folders, a pop up says there is not enough room to move them.

What do they do, why I should keep them and/or should I delete them?.

I'm trying to weed out the junk but I'm at a loss on what to do with these folders.

A question perhaps I should have ask first, I'm I going about this the right way to move folders and files? Is there perhaps a better way to accomplish this same task?

My computer experience is limited in both skill and knowledge due to my physical (brain) storage capacity. The older I get, the better my forgetter gets. If possiable please keep it simple.

Thank you for your help, sorry for the long post. Hope I got this right

Dock

I am moving this thread to the appropriate topic as it appears to be Vista related.

It is a backup software. www.retrospect.com Take a look and see if you need it.

Pages ten and eleven in the PDF manual at the link below do not show that Retrospect is supported in windows Vista.

http://www.primera.com/pdfnew/RetrospectGuide.pdf

Edited by GB2064

I will further confuse the issue by moving this thread to XP as I see that XP is the system in use now--plans to move to Vista. Sorry for the confusion, Dock!

Retrospect 9.5 Application

Supported Operating Systems:

• Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2008/2003*
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials*
  • Microsoft Windows SBS 2011/2008/2003*
  • Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008/2003*

http://www.retrospect.com/en/products/win/requirements

Is your external drive formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT32 won't let you transfer files over 4GB.

I'm thinking at this point it doesn’t make any difference; I just won’t transfer it because Vista will not support it. I don’t now if my external drive is formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. How would I tell?

Right click on the harddrive, scroll down to Properties, in the dialog box it will tell you if it is FAT32 or NTFS.

It is FAT 32

While I'm at it maybe some one can tell me why it takes a long time to open a folder or file? Often when I try to open a file I get back. 'Not responding' and must wait several minutes before the folder or file will open.

According to your computer specs, you have 512 MB of memory, that is not a lot of memory, that may be a factor.

If USB:

Go into device manager, USB, power management tab and uncheck

Allow the computer . . . . as noted here.

usb-power-management.jpg

XP needed 1 GB of ram to work well, 2 GB was nice.

Vista, you want 4 minimum . Just my experience.

Vista 32 bit, 4 GB and Vista 64 bit I use 6 GB of ram.

Sane as Vista, goes for Win 7.

With my Win 7 desktop, my second hdd [sATA} gets powered down and I have wait for it to power up.

Format your external drive in NTFS and you'll be able to transfer files/folders over 4GB.

I can be typing along in a Word Document and all of sudden the computer freezes; I get a Non Responsive message. Then I wait a while, usually a few minutes, the computer unfreezes and I can type again. Most aggravating!

I can’t find a “USB Root Hub Properties”. I do however have a Windows Task Manager that appears similar to the USB. . . but it has none of the tabs. Is this located on the XP OS? Or Vista?

How do I format the external drive in NTFS

1. To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

When you expand the USB, click the + in front of the line, it will look something like this.

TS1369-xp-device_manager-en.png

Does freezing happen in Word only?

How to format your external drive...

Make sure your drive is plugged in.

Open Windows Explorer.

Right click on a letter of your external drive, click "Format".

You'll see following popup:

post-1-0-35370000-1425595895_thumb.gif

Click on down arrow under "File system" an click on NTFS.

Click "Start" button.

Other folders and files also freeze up (Not Responding).

When I right click on my external hard drive, I do not get anything that looks like your sample.

Hello all,

This is a very confusing thread. I probably should stay out of it because I may make it more confusing but I might shed some light on it from what I can tell.

Back to the beginning, it seems that the retrospect files are causing the problem. As MichaelJ posted in the beginning of this thread It is a backup software. www.retrospect.com Take a look and see if you need it.”

Dock, the retrospect files are backup files of the files you are trying to save. If you transfer those files you will just have two sets of the same files on your newer Vista application. So just forget those retrospect files.

As for your quote;My backup hard drive is a WD USB with 110 GB used space and 122 GB free space. While the numbers add up that I should have room for these three folders, a pop up says there is not enough room to move them.

I don't know why you would want to format this drive at this time because you would lose the 110 gb of files that are on it now. Just leave it fat32 and transfer the files and folders that you are trying to save. Just limit the amount of files and folders (under 4 gb as Broni posted) that you transfer at one time.

If you still want to format your USB hard drive, I find this is an easy way to do that;

Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>> Computer Management>>Disk Management.You may notice on my image below that the Main Original XP drive shown is the one I have pluged in the USP port. Just right click on it and choose "format". Note; all of the lines that appear in that image "background" of that hard drive indicate it is a disengaged hard drive and it is eligible for a format change.

One last note that was mentioned earlier;

It sounds like your system is overwhelmed due to its lack of memory. That “maybe” why it is freezing. Good luck!

Computer_Management.jpg

Edited by Smokey

I don't know why you would want to format this drive at this time because you would lose the 110 gb of files that are on it now

Good point. You'd have to move existing files somewhere else before formatting and then move them back.

I will forget about moving the Retrospect folders and continue moving the remainder folders and files. I apologize for making this more complicated than necessary; I'm just trying to work within my limited knowledge. I thank everyone for their help and especially your patience.