Dock

How to transfer folders and files

The computer will slow way, way down.

XP - it will run on 512 MB of ram, does much better with 1 GB. 2 GB is plenty.

Vista and newer OSs, 1 GB is the minimum, 2 GB is much better, 4 GB would be concidered the sweet spot.

If doing heavy graphic type work and you have a 64 bit OS, 6 - 8GB would speed things up.

But remember the mobo limitations dictate the max amount of ram that can be installed and a 32 bit OS has a 4 GB limitation.

Doc...

This sounds like an old computer. Could you please post your computer specifications (make, model, year etc)? If it's a Dell Computer list the service tag number. Also is this the computer you planned on installing Windows 10 on?

Everyone here is glad to help you. There is no need to apologize.

I was trying to hold onto this computer until the new ones came out with Windows 10. But the frustration of (System not Responding) has become an extreme annoyance.

Hope this is the information you are asking for, if not would you tell me where to find what you need. Thanks

Was bought Dec 2004

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Hewlett-Packard

Pavilion

AMD Athlon™XP3200+

2.20GHz 1.00 GB RAM

Those are minimal specifications for windows 10 but it should work. It would be much better with more than the 1 gb of ram that you have now
. If you post the model number we could tell you the maximum ram that HP will handle.

You can find the model number on a label ( on your computer case) like the one you see in my attachment below;

c03460867.jpg

Edited by Smokey

After lookin at every sticker on and inside the computer I cou;dn't find anything that said Model Number. So I look at the original paper work came with the computer and found this as the serial number - HP Pavilion a720n. If that's not it I have no idea where else to look.

Doc, Like Shay posted, the maximum memory for your Asus motherboard is 1gb which you have now. That's what HP says but I know better since I work with Asus motherboards so often.So I just did a little research for you I found THIS thread that says different. You should have no problem upgrading your memory to 2x1gb of ram so you can upgrade to windows 10 with your older HP computer. That being said, you could consider upgrading your computer with an Off-Lease computer. There are many great deals now for $100.00 and up for a 2 year old computer..

Off lease with Windows 7, you will like is my bet.

10 happy clients so far.

Two things:

I found a second Model number p61201.

I'm only trying to make this computer last until Windows 10 comes out. I wanted to transfer my folders and files from "My Computer" to a Vista system I have sitting on the floor.

To make the transfer I cut and paste everything to a backup hard drive. In doing this it appears I've lost several spreedsheets I was keeping for the past several years. I say lost because I can't find them. I also lost several desk top icons to places like Firefox, etc. So now I'm thinking that may not have been the proper way to transfer files and folders!

Additionally I've recently started to pick up two annoying error messages.

A script on this page maybe busy or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: Chrome://browser/content/browser.js:10257

and

C/Progra ~ // Symantec/s32 EVNT1.DLL An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization, choose close to terminate the application.

I've tried to find someone to work on this computer but everyone says the same thing, they no longer work on XP OS.

Does anyone think there is a way to salvage this computer? I've been working on trying to get this far since 8:00pm and it is now 10:25pm, two plus hours of waiting and 10 minutes of typing, doesn't seem like a good work ratio!

Are trying to transfer programs?

Can not do that as they must be installed.

Copy / paste works just fine. Been using it for years.

Script: Chrome://browser/content/browser.js:10257

If on webpages, I get them too, not anything we can do because who ever wrote the web page goofed.

Many thanks for your information. I'll stop worrying about that one error message and start looking for my lost/misplaced spreedsheets. I only moved folders and files that were in "My Documents". Am I correct to think that "My Documents" is the right place to set up folders and files? Or should they go into "My Computer"? This is a minor debate I'm having with one of my friends.

I don't know what the configuration of the Vista OS computer I want to use is, but I don't think it will handle one software program I routinely use, Photoshop. It is model p6120f. It probably needs a new graphic card and more RAM? A friend gave it to me a few months ago and has since passed on; so I don't have any paperwork with it. If anyone could tell me what it's capabilities are I would appreciate it. When I get bored I also like to play store bought computer games. Don't know if it will handle them either?

Is there a forum to answer questions about Chrome book 11?

Here are the specs of your Vista Computer If you can, print these specs so you will know for the future. This is a pretty good computer. This computer will handle Windows 10 or any other OS without a problem. If your friend didn't change any hardware it has 8gb of ram, a fast processor and a decent onboard video controller. Photo Shop will work fine on vista if you still have it on a disk. Also your files in "My Documents" are all personal files, folders, music,and pictures. They can all be transferred to the usb HD. Like Shay mentioned "COPY AND PASTE" that way you won't loose files. If it were me I would copy and paste the whole my documents folder. Windows will stop the transfer when it has a file that can't be moved. At that time windows will give you a choice to skip over that file and continue the transfer. This will take a lot of time to complete.

Edited by Smokey

Dock, questions about Chrome book belong in the 'Other Operating Systems' category.

What HP has

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/3942799/model/3978843/document/c01746794/

For manuals and the like

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/3942799/model/3978843/product-info

While transfering files, if there is a hang up as Smokey brought out, it will tell you which file, I take notes so I can go digging for it later.

Using compatability mode, I have Jacs Paint shop Pro ver 7.0 , yes, that was for win 98 and 2000, running just fine on Vista, win 7 and Win 10 Preview.

This can be explained later.on how to do that.

Thanks for the information on the VIsta, It sounds like it should handle most programs or games without a problem.

The last couple of days I've search for my lost spreadsheets. Alas, they appear to be gone forever. Sure hate to lose all those years of valuable information. Wish there was a way to recover them.

Now, two new questions.

After moving all my folders and files, this folder appeared on the backup drive; no idea what it is.

0ee4c883ca67909c041f57e5611c28 This is the name of a folder that containes many unknown files the end with .DLL, mui, chm, exe, mof, ocx, rat, and ini, might be missing one or two but you get the idea. I have a feeling I don't want to delete this folder. True? But what should I do with it?

And

Every once in a while when I try to save a word document or a spread sheet, it will save as (example) ~WRL 1104.tmp. I must then re-save the document again using a different file name. Why does this happen and is there a way for this not to happen?

Thanks

I make a folder and stick 0ee4c883ca67909c041f57e5611c28 in it and wait a few days, if nothing comes up with errors, then I delete it.

Which version ot word are you using.

I got so tired of having to remove normal.dot [ NOTE: ther is a period between normal and dot] I switched to LibreOffice.

The version of word will allow me to find how to access the repair mode for it.

Plum forgot DUH.