jay

Need advice, XP & win7 on same HD

I have XP as C: on my sata HD for yrs then installed win 7 home prem on another partition. I keep virus program and firewall up to date on both.

I got to love XP and liking win 7 now and haven't even thought about win 10 yet........LU can only go so far :-)

I've never had a problem and trying to keep it that way.

Q: is XP going to be a loose cannon for me to keep as is ?

With no more updates for XP, I would not hit the internet with it myself.

Win 10 is fine in my book.

I prefer Win 7 and Linux AntiX.

Belive me, I can understand how you feel about Windows XP.  It was a major improvement over its predecessors. 98, 98SE and (gasp!) Me.  Its replacement, Windows Vista, was a disaster.  Windows 7 was a solid replacement, and then the 8.x series repeated the cycle of good/bad/good/bad etc.  So Windows releases have been a roller coaster.  Do you notice that Microsoft has distanced itself from Windows 8.x by jumping to Windows 10?  What happened to 9?

Microsoft discontinued support for XP a year and a half ago.  There are hundreds(?) of exploits out there that make it dangerous to use.  But there are also applications that many have grown to know and love, or even depend upon.  For example, there was an article a few months ago that says that many of the U.S. Navy's systems still run on XP and that the Navy is thus coughing up for the individual maintenance contracts.  Your tax dollars at work.

But there may be a way that you can have your cake and eat it too.

Do you have a 'retail' copy of XP available?  By that I mean a CD that is not branded to a hardware manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.  If so, consider this:
Install the free Oracle VirtualBox product on your Windows 7 environment.  Then install XP as a virtual machine.  You may even be able to convert your physical XP installation to a virtual machine.  This has many advantages once you get t going.
1) You don't need to dual boot.  Boot the W7 machine and then while it is running you can run the vitual XP machine simultaneously which you can't do in a dual boot environment.
2) Make the XP machine 'safe' by setting the DNS servers in the XP protocol stack to  127.0.0.1 - the local host or 'loopback' address.  This will disable internet access from the XP machine to the outside world, yet allow the XP machine to see and be seen by the W7 machine or any other VMs in the W7 machine or any other local devices such as printers etc.  Thus when you want to browse you use the much safer browsers and connections in W7.
The reason I mentioned the retail version of XP is that if you have a 'branded' XP when it launches (or you try to install) it will fail if it doesn't see the right stuff on the motherboard, i.e. a Dell machine will require a Dell motherboard.  A virtual mahine's motherboard won't be shown as being a Dell.
There is an excellent user-to-user forum supporting VirtualBox.  There are references to how to convert a physical machine to a virtual machine, it has been years since I went through that process so I'm not up to date as to what is avaiable now.  For example, it mght be possible to make an image of the XP machine on an external HD, and then restore that image to a virtual hard disk on the XP VM.  A installed retail version won't complain about a "motherboard" change, a branded copy will.  You might have to activate the install.  That could be a problem as I understand that the 800 number has been taken down.  For a while the 'over the internet' capability may have been taken down as well.  MS doesn't want to make it easy.  Sigh.

Edited by NKTower

The only logic i can see to keep xp is, if you have a specific program , or hardware that is relied upon it , otherwise windows 7 is a good capable os .

I have kept xp on my one computer because of  a good scanner , that has no 64 bit drivers and no support past xp .

The other way around that , on my other computer with win 7 i installed vmware and use the xp 32 bit within it which allows the use of my one scanner and

older printer , and some other program specific for xp . works great .

Just to add , all my computers are a dual boot with Ubuntu

;I just did a search on the VirtualBox site and found this article that tells you how to migrate an XP machine into a VM under VitualBox.  There is one registry change needed on the XP machine that will NOT hurt the operation of the XP machine as a physical machine, but bypasses a problem when the machine is booted as a VM.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows 

So here's what you could do...

1) Make sure that the partition hosting the W7 machine is big enough to hold the XP machine's C: drive contents.

2) Install Oracle's VirtualBox under Windows 7

3) Make the registry 'tweak' on the XP machine.  There is a utility program in the post, or a MS KB article.

4) Follow the instructions for converting the XP machine to a VM.

5) Boot the XP VM and make sure that it works as expected.

6) If all is well then you may blow away the XP partition and expand the W7 partition to use the freed up space.  Or you may just make the former XP partition a logical disk to recover its space.

Caveat:  If you have hardware that requires a hardware adapter (such as a specific video capture card, or a non-standard SCSI adapter, then you may have a problem.  For example, early ZIP drives used the parallel printer port and implemented a SCSI interface in software that went through the printer port.  You won't find support for that in VirtualBox.

If your W7 partition is big enough you can do all of the above and still roll-back to dual boot if you can't get it to work.  BTW - I've used EaseUS.com's free for home use Partiton Manager to resize partitions with out any problems.

Just to make a comment to Shay , compatibility mode doesn't always work . I recall some very expensive software and hardware peripherals that just

wouldn't work . 

Just to mention , vmware player is free for non commercial use and it has better tools addons to enable hardware and ports etc; better then the other

popular one , even got a medical test unit using serial port that windows 7 would not run at all using xp virtually using usb to serial port adaptor .

NKtower has mentioned above issues that can happen .