Broken Club

new scam

9 posts in this topic

Post #: 1   Posted

You all know about the call from "Windows". A different slant today. " Your Microsoft license has expired. We are shutting off your computer from the internet". I just said, good luck with that and hung up.

Post #: 2   Posted

I've had several calls from India trying to convince me that my Windows computer has a virus.  I like to let them go on yakking for a while before letting them know that I don't use Windows.  Then they hang up on me before I get the chance to hang up on them.

Post #: 3   Posted

I'm getting them for school loans [etc]. :computer_bash:

Post #: 4   Posted

What do I need a computer for ; I  use Linux; It has been sitting in the closet for the last 10 years , so it you want it you can come get it. 

The GI bill paid for my college. ; don't I have to go to college first.

This place has not had a lien on it since March of 1958.

I think you want to talk to the landlord about this place and not me,

Some statements I use from time to time.  

Surprising how many times the line goes quiet as they have no idea of what to say.

Post #: 5   Posted

I tell em my motorcycle runs points. Not Windows.

Post #: 6   Posted

Just the other day, I had a caller stating I had a virus, he told me he would fix it for free. He asked me to go to my computer and told me how to open the event viewer. I give him credit, he never got frustrated with me as it took me 7 minutes to open the event viewer. Once I allowed us to get there, he asked me what I saw, I stretched that out another 5-6 ,minutes or so. He was glad we finally arrived at the fact that I had errors in my event viewer and was in super duper helper mode in giving me a website I could go to to download a file that would enable him to connect and fix these for me. All for free mind you. That took another 7 minutes of his time. I went to the site, let him get me as far as downloading the file (I'm in a sandbox mode just in case) 

The file scanned as W32/Trojan-something it's on my computer at work, the one I use to test environments and software for the store. He waited during this scan and perusal of the internet for me to research what was going on. 

After about 25 minutes, I simply said to him that I just wanted to cut this short and send him some money. Silence, a few seconds later, I get his "supervisor" on the phone asking me if I was in the IT industry, I said IT? You mean that Stephen King book? Hahahaha. I told this guy I needed his address to send him some money as this was the quickest way to get me off the phone, I was willing to mail him a couple thousand dollars. Silence again and click. All told I wasted over 30 minutes of their time and it was fun.

Post #: 7   Posted

There are a lot of scams out there.

Post #: 8   Posted

:Red-Wink:

1 person likes this

Post #: 9   Posted

I like to lead on the Microsoft guys who tell me I have a virus.  I try to waste as much time as possible playing the dumb blonde bit.  'Oh,' I finally say, 'will that serious virus hurt my Mac?'  They hang up immediately...

2 people like this