Ski52

Major 'net probs and AT&T is no help.....

Ski52   

This started ~14 days ago.  Noticeable slow down on all my machines - 1 IMac, 2 Win10 & 1 lap Win7.  Got progressively worse to the point of time outs, unable to load page, unable to locate server, etc.  I have 10 tabs on the top of Firefox that I have been using for years, nothing new.  They now come up, if they come up at all as maybe Yahoo, my home page, then 2 or 3 'NewTab' then a couple of 'Problem Loading Page', then maybe one tab will connect, then more of the same.   The whole thing is random, some time they come up, most of the time not.  If they do, a selection on a page usually gets a 'Page Not Found', took me 6 or 7 tries to get to this page.  I spent about 1 1/2 - 2 hours on the phone Monday nite with some non-english speaking person from AT&T.  He claims to have upgraded the firmware, and the software from his end - I have my doubts...  I finally have my full compliment of tabs, to get that I had to (today) boot FF 19 times, 2 cold boots of the Mac and 1 reset of their modem.  My home network is non-existent, when habib joe reset everything he obliterated the network.  Now I can get the Mac to connect by both WiFi and Cat5, but the Win box doesn't see the cat5, only the WiFi and no network.  I put all ethernet new cables in this week also.

I hope you guys can help out some before I call these a-holes again.  This time 'll keep on hanging up and calling back til I get someone that speaks english.

One pissed Polack!!

Shay   

Do you clean out your temp files in Win 7?

Ski52   

I don't use the laptop, it's in the garage for reference DVD's.  The problem is affecting all of my machines, and the wifes IPad, and the TV's that use the network.  My main concern is the MAC.

Shay   

I run ESET Antivirus for Mac, on the daughters mac and it cleaned up lots and lots of junk and afterward it run fine.

Had to install it and when finished, uninstalled it.

Next step, save what you would hate to lose and do a clean install ???

Need a clean machine to test the networking and for that I use a AntiX 16 bootable USB thumbdrive.

Still think your modem/router is messed up some how.

rokytnji   

Ski. Have you got a neighbor or friend who can come over with their laptop . Run off your router See if slowdown effects their laptop also.

It Might help determine if your slowdown is hardware related. My internet service provider. Windstream. Chokes my internet speed from time to time with their server outside of my home at their service center. 

I've learned to live with that and just turn off my gear when they do that. If applications open normally and only internet speed is choked and slowed down. Page loading and such. A neighbor will exhibit the same symptoms while using your router also.

Broni   

I suspect you may have some line problem. Get AT&T asses out to check it out.