Webweaver

Possible Explanation?

About 3/4 of an hour ago, or so, while using my desktop, the blue windows update screen appeared with the message "Windows is getting your computer ready do not close your computer"......the normal message which usually appears whenever updates are downloaded and installed.  When I returned to the computer about 15 minutes ago, the screen was back to my normal desktop.  BUT apparently NO updates were installed.  Looking at my installed updates, the last three were installed on August 8.   Might they be preparing for installing Windows Creator Update?  I completed the security check awhile back and currently still have Windows version 1607.  What do you all think?

Shay   

Could have been defender updating.

Yes I did, Broni.  Says "my device is up to date".   Shay, I use Avast Free antivirus and have Defender disabled.  So, I'm assuming Defender can't update??? 

Edited by Webweaver

Shay   

I have had Defender do that a couple times, but  since you are using Avast???

Broni, this is still puzzling to me.....maybe over-reacting.  I manually checked for updates again, and it continues to state (as I mentioned above) "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎11:21 AM" .  But in "Update History" it states "no updates have been installed yet".  On the same Update History page, I then clicked on "uninstall updates" and 13 Updates are listed, the last three were installed on 8/8/17.  Does this look right to you? 

Webweaver, I got a similar message but it said getting ready for creator. It got ready and asked for a date to install and I did not reply with a date. I also use Avast and have Defender turned off.

The update page shows when creator is installed, it will be ver 1703.  I cannot find anything showing Windows Creator is installed, but my ver. now shows 1703! The updates do not show it being installed and if I have it I don't know it or what it does.:bald_head:

I don't think you have anything to worry about but would rely on Broni for a final word.

kenneth

win10.jpg

My system settings continue to show that I have the 1607 version of Windows 10.  There has been no further attempt by Windows to update it to the Creator version.....1703.  So, I did the following:  Under System and Security, I clicked on "Fix problems with Windows Updates".  In  new window, I clicked on 'try troubleshooting as administrator", in next window ..."detecting problems", it states REPAIR WINDOWS UPDATE DATABASE CORRUPTION.  Below this, it states:  "One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer.  Would you like to try this step now?  Depending on your network configuration, you may incur download costs."  (I'm not sure what they mean by the possibility of incurring costs....maybe someone here may have an answer to that one.....but my main focus right now is mainly the Windows Update problem itself.)  Would you recommend I follow the step they suggest?  Thanks for your help.

Shay   

About this time I would down load it and install it.

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/

But I do have 1703 installed.

Edited by Shay

Good morning Shay,

I already have Windows Anniversary Update installed (vs 1603) and have had it for quite some time.    Did I misunderstand, or did you mean the current Creator Update?  Thanks, Shay.

Shay   

After 1603 there was another one that I got before it was pulled. It was up for 2 days.   Seems it was tearing a lot of folks up.  Although it has never bothered me on any of my computers.

Seems it is available now

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/

When they say cost, they also take in folks with limited bandwidth, etc. which large downloads can effect.

Shay, Windows Creator is now installed.  Did it yesterday.......and all seems to be okay.  Broni, two Windows Updates were also installed yesterday.

KB4021572 - Update for Microsot Windows (8/21/17)

KB4034674 - Security Update for Microsoft Windows (8/21/17)

I now have 6 Updates shown------two on the previous version of Windows (one is forAdobe Flash Player) on 7/11/17.  Also one from 10/8/15 (Microsoft Visual C+) and one on 6/26/16 (Microsoft Silverlight).  That is the extent of it.

It seems to be that Updates differ for everyone.

My sincere thanks, always, Shay and Broni, for your expertise and help.  It's much appreciated.