Broken Club

Dell with Windows Vista

It gets ungodly slow and something you try to bring up now, it'll come up hours or days later??? I've ran MWB and Avast which does speed it up a bit, but not to where it should be.

I do have the re installation DVD that came with my pc. It's Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit. Sounds like a good fix to me. What will I have to adjust to make this work?

Edited by Broken Club

Shouldn't have to adjust much of anything.  A real installation disk will scan the machine first and tell you if it's OK or not, then it will go ahead and run the install.

It's been a while, but if I recall it will ask you if you want to overwrite it or move a copy of the core files to a separate directory.  I had both 7 & Vista and liked 7 a lot more.  Vista was the beginning of the mess we got now - Vista - 8 - 8.1 - 10 and who knows what else. 

OK. Got it installed alright, but when trying to install SP2, it tells me there's not enough space for the install. Can I install another/bigger memory strip to resolve this .

I told him No..  told him to Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, in the lower pane, is the drive where C: is installed have Unallocated Space to the right of C: Or is there another partition? Include a Screenshot of Disk Management window..  

Will post Screen shot when i get it ..

I believe there is a partition with the old Win install in it's entirety.  If you are satisfied with the 7 install, delete the Windows.old or other newly created partition.  If there is another new Win partition, you might want to back it up to a CD/DVD or other off-machine means, it's just taking  up space.  Memory will not give you space.  Run Disk cleanup from disk tools.  That should help.

I'm thinking they must have somehow skipped the step of showing another windows install and allowing you to to delete

and do a fresh install , which is what should have been done .

Sometimes window esp dell provide extra tools and utility that may disrupt the system , if that is the case , just

get a boot disk like ubuntu , and run a live  one and do the "gparted " thing and get the drive ready for a clean install .

I just mentioned that way , but there are numerous ways , even in dos to do this .

He can boot back up with the windows  disc and do a delete and then install , that step they must have been missed .!!!

Another issue , some dell is set up with to many primarys , like i mentioned before , tool , sytem utilities , etc :

THAT is why some who try do a dual boot with linux , will not work , because of the 4 primary rules which  are being used!!!

Remember the rule , partitions = Only 4 primary's or three primarys plus an extended one !!!

Dell and other manufacturers had hidden ones .

This was one of the main complaints when i had someone try a duel boot system , they had to delete at least one of

the ones like tools , or recover or utilities , I think think the manufactors did that on purpose to stop dual booting to

a good system and maybe likeing it ??

Either way i may have gave you too much info , but remember the hard drive manufacturer also  had utilities to

also help prepare your hard drive for a new install . When you miss the windows way .

Edited by nodsh
forgot to mention , if your install was a dell disc , it could react that one after seeing a previous dell os

There should be a way to get to an MS DoS prompt with the install disk.  If so, you can run the old fdisk then format.  That will obliterate everything on your HD, - factory clean.  Then you can run the install disk. 

All the old methods of cleaning and installing Windows  are gone completely from my mind, comes with age I guess.  Create a bootable CD/DVD with the old MS DoS commands, should be able to find them on line - save what you want/need off the drive and blotto the disk and start over.  Used to be so easy...

Just looked at your screen shot - you have 168GB free - SP2 must be pretty large....

Edited by Ski52

Quote :  Well, I got it working to a point, but it has all the bad issues Vista had. Incredibly slow and freezing screens constantly. Could there be a component issue or maybe a virus of some sort that's causing this?

You have to remember a new install of windows , does have issues for a while , updating and all the other crap can take

a week or more , also some of the drivers might not right or up to date etc; It may take a few days to get things stable , that is one

thing i hate about doing a new install , even though a new install sometimes is the best thing for your fix .

You should do a hardware check first , first step , i mentioned is what i learned to do from experience and talking

with many tech's .

One thing is do a memory test , all you need is a cd or usb , and know how to boot to it .

One of the  first things to do, are no boot,or no monitor ,or  no sound , erratic behavior, etc; is too reseat memory.

That is my word or reset , remove ram and reinstall .  You just cannot believe how many cures were fixed .

Boot to a live linux disc and see how the hardware is handled , or actually install a light one and use it , remember

you can fdisc and reinstall the windows again.

It looks to me like some hardware problem. I'd start with testing hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html/page__view__findpost__p__160520
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here