jdhoward

[RESOLVED] I don't now if I have an infection, a hardware problem or a software glitch.

I don't now if I have an infection, a hardware problem or a software glitch.

Refurbished Dell Optiplex 760 Windows 7 Pro has been working well, but slow, for nearly a year.

2 days ago:

When trying to scroll down a page, it went to the bottom of the page, couldn't stop on a line.

Next day I started the machine and got a black screen that said it could not start because the date/time was wrong. I tuned off and on, same thing. I tried to get into "Safe Mode" and finally got a black screen but this one allowed me to set the date and time, the computer started up.

But, the date and time were still wrong, I was able to set it correctly.

Thunder bird was able to get messages but when I tried to send, I got "Wrong Certificate, SMTP wrong."

MBAM would not start, AVG partially started

I have a Davis weather station connected by USB to Ambient Virtual Station V. 15.00 Weather Station . Connect by Serial was ticked and I could not change it.

Mail Washer Pro would not connect.

I finally used a full backup from a few days earlier. Most of the problems remained.

I gave up and left. Then slowly, over a few hours, things started working

I bought a new mouse. It seems to be OK.

Now things seem to be pretty normal.

I  ran MBAM, AVG, ESET on line, Rogue Killer TFC. Nothing detected. SAS deleted a bunch of cookies.

I have MBAM, AVG and Windows Firewall running. All updated.

38 minutes ago, jdhoward said:

Next day I started the machine and got a black screen that said it could not start because the date/time was wrong. I tuned off and on, same thing. I tried to get into "Safe Mode" and finally got a black screen but this one allowed me to set the date and time, the computer started up.

But, the date and time were still wrong, I was able to set it correctly.

For starters, replace the motherboard CMOS battery...

Best of luck!

I agree with the battery , usually duracell " 2032 " that would be my first , esp with the hint of the time and or date being off !!!

Thanks, After changing the battery I discovered that the hard drive was dead. Replaced it too.

No all is well.

Please close this topic. JD Howard