ProblemsRBad

Problem after updating to Windows 1803

So I'm on the laptop now. I updated my desktop last night to 1803. Before I went to bed I clicked reboot now to finish updating. When I woke up and logged in, I get nothing on the screen. It's all black just my mouse. I can press ctrl+alt+del and when I click task manager, it never opens. Just go's back to the black screen with mouse. I have 2 user accounts in the system. So I press ctrl+alt+del again and click switch user. I was able to login the other account. The first time I did this, the account said welcome to Windows we are setting up your first time use. But after it finished loading it was the same deal, black screen with only mouse. So how do I fix this one?

EDIT

After waiting some time in my account, I can see the desktop background. No icons. I can see the start bar with only the clock and the start button. When I put the mouse on the start bar it show a loading symbol. When I try to click the start button nothing happens. It seems to be stuck here.

Edited by ProblemsRBad

Yes, I had to press ctrl+alt+del and click the power, restart. Now its stuck in blue screen with white balls going around in the center. It's been about 15 minutes like this. I'm still waiting.

My advice  is keep waiting.  I finally just left mine for awhile and it finally downloaded everything.  I would say give it at least a few hours.

Yes, with major updates it may take a while.

hmm, I did update my sisters laptop couple days ago . I didn't run into this problem with here system. 😕 My desktop is still in the blue screen with loading symbol and mouse. My system has 10 gig ram and 6 core AMD processor, I'd think this would go a bit more fast. 😞

Every computer and every update are kind of unique combination.

I another topic I wrote:

There is something wrong wit those updates. Too often they cause problem with installation.

On my desktop with two previous updates I had to use Media Creation Tool in order to install them. They wouldn't install normal way, through Windows updates.

On my laptop those installed just fine.

This time with 1803 desktop installed fine through Windows updates.

But this time around I had to use Media Creation Tool on my laptop.

So after waiting about an hour, I'm back to the same thing. Blank desktop with mouse and start bar. When I put the mouse on the start bar it shows a loading symbol. I cant click start. I cant do anything. The hard drive light will blink once very fast about every 30 seconds. Not sure whats the deal here . 😕 I guess I'll wait another hour? 😞

34 minutes ago, Broken Club said:

As I cant use my desktop, I'm not sure I can do this. Thanks for the pointer though, wish I knew about this before I did update thru the Windows update in my system.

Edited by ProblemsRBad

Another hour passes, still at blank desktop with mouse and start bar. When I put the mouse on the start bar it still shows a loading symbol. I still cant click start. I still cant do anything.

WoW, OK, I'm back in Windows but I lost all of my app's. 😞 I have a bunch of broken short cuts to all of the app's I used to have still on the desktop. 😕 Now I have to go thru and re-install all of them. LOL

I always say BACKUP!

But, good news overall 🙂

10 minutes ago, Broni said:

I always say BACKUP!

I was unable to backup anything as I couldn't use the machine. Anyway I have a backup of all my personal stuff. The only thing I didn't get a backup of is my most recent FireFox bookmarks and profile with all my usernames and passwords. 😕 But I do have a backup of an old FireFox profile back in Dec. 2017 I can load and go from there.

My desktop look about 20 minutes to update plenty of space and 16gb RAM, my laptop took 4 hours to update and took forever just to get out of 1%. I just left it alone and eventually it came through, when I restarted got black screen left it alone and within thirty minutes or so it finally finished uploading and all good after that.

Yep, I've had systems take 20 minutes and I've had them take 8 hours. I've had some with the black screen issue and a reboot fixed it. I've had some I had to download the vid driver from the manufacturer to fix also sound driversfrom the manufacturer. <---all these mentioned was the 1803 update.