Sign in to follow this  
rokytnji

Acer Aspire ZG5, AOA101, Wireless Wpa2

After fighting XP and the Atheros Wireless Chip on My Wifes Acer Aspire One ZG5 and WPA2 encrypted wireless router. Here is how this Linux user beats XP when it goes

Limited or no wireless connection. Searching for a IP address>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then like a crazy person says

Long story short. The Acer recovery system/partition and Acers site has the 7.6.0.224

driver which is crap anymore and will drive you nuts trying to figure out why one part of

your operating system says excellent connection but when you open a browser, the browser says you have no connection at all in wireless.

ETH cable hard wire connection on the other hand is OK.

So, Here is What you do.

I downloaded the Atheros v7.6.0.260 from Here using my Linux box and unzipping it in Linux and transfer both zip file and extracted folder to pendrive and then cut and paste into XP into My Documents>Drivers Folder I made just for that.

Then go into device manager and find the wireless chip and right click and choose update driver to start the wizard. I tell it not to search for Windows Update this time.

I untick I have the CD and Tick the browse for the driver. I go to My Documents>Driver>Atheros and hit the OK button and the newer driver is installed.

Hit Internet Explorer and I connect to the net this time. My previous attempts with the old driver had me entering my pass key and it stuck with the new driver install. So no need to recycle the connection.

Took me awhile to figure this out as you all know I am a Linux user mostly. I knew the hardware was fine because the Acer ZG5 connected fine with my Linux Flash drive install just fine. So Linux bailed me out of a schitzo windows messaging system and errors.

Probably Acers fault. But I expect more detail when things go wrong other than

"I hate you,No I like you"

:pianosmiley:

The

Was that the original driver ?? or was it updated automatically . Have seen where power saving mode created many issues .

Was that the original driver ?? or was it updated automatically . Have seen where power saving mode created many issues .

Was what the original driver. Atheros 7.6.0.224? Yes that is what the recovery partition loads and that is what Acers support site shows and gives as a download driver on their support page.

Updated automatically? No. I had to manually think,search,and find a better driver then supplied by Acer.

Power saving had nothing at all to do with this. It was a driver and Acer Support site failure issue only.