DAVID E

Country songs

Hank Snow-Haven't thought of him in a long time but I am a Patsy Cline/Kitty Wells/Ray Price fan...and, some of Hank Locklin, too.

Same type of folks.

Remember STUART HAMBLEN - I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake

Yep, I do. That's an oldie for sure. Didn't he do This Old House?

Here I go drifting again.

Edited by DAVID E

Jim Reeves is another. Patsy gets a listening to also.

Just to many for me to list.

Gentleman, Jim...but of course. I have him and Patsy back to back on a 10 inch reel to reel tape. She on one side for an hour and a half and he other the other side.

My favorite by Gentleman Jim - Blue Canadian Rockies

Both Jimmy Rodgers had a couple apiece.

Jim Reeves doesn't have any songs I don't like. I have a somewhat obscure LP called "Don't Let me Cross Over" that has several superb duets with him and Deborah Allen. In particular, "Take Me in Your Arms and Hold Me" and "Oh, How I miss You Tonight" are marvelous songs so well done by them both. Just beautiful harmony.

Four years after his death he was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Speaking of Stuart Hamblen, he wrote many gospel songs such as this one by the old Blackwood Brothers.

Edited by DAVID E

Stuart Hamblen, his was a interesting story.

A wild one he was, into drinking and a chronic womanizer I've read. He sure had a turn around later on. Remember Lefty Frizzel, Hank Thompson and Red Foley? Lots of old greats now gone and for sure they'll not be replaced. Red Sovine is another that comes to mind. My Dad really liked him.

I remember watching the Grand Ole Opera with a lot of the singers you mentioned, good music!

I wish the Opry was still on TV. For sure I'd like to see it replace that stupid ongoing program, The Walking Dead. What a waste of air time. At least you can still see some of the old Opry favorites on YouTube. An often overlooked great voice in bygone days...

He did for sure. I don't know if I like his rendition of "Make the World Go Away" as much as Ray Price, though. Both were good.

At least back then you could actually hear and understand the words of the songs.

90 MPH down a dead end street.

Very true and entertainers didn't look like they needed their clothes washed and didn't have holes in the jeans because they didn't wear jeans. The guys wore suits or sport coats and ties and the women looked like they were going to a cocktail party instead of a race track. It's a different world now and I prefer the old days.

did you ever notice how many "Hanks" there was back then? Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Locklin, Hank Thompson and I'm probably forgetting one.

Edited by DAVID E

Dad took a look at one of the Rhinestone suits on tv and stated mom could fit out all 10 of us for the price of that suit.

Here's some country greats on the Grand Old Opry from the late 50's. For you Yankees that's never seen clogging that's what they're doing in the beginning of this video followed by Ray Price.

Well, I had to post one other. Probably one of the songs that make Kitty go down in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Many don't know it was a rebuttal to Hank Thompson's song, "The Wild side of Life"

Edited by DAVID E

You can buy The Grand Ole Opry on dvd online. It's available at Amazon, Ebay, etc. I have purchased many of the old tv shows on dvd from Amazon and really do enjoy them. Some of the full series are available and then some are just Season 1, 2, etc. I'd rather watch these old shows than to watch what's on today.

There's nothing on that's worth my time on TV anymore. You watch three minutes of a program and then are ushered into four minutes of commercials not to mention trying to pay attention to what you're watching when it is on to be distracted by a commercial on the bottom left or right of the screen about what's coming up next or tomorrow. AMC is bad about adding "story notes" to a movie you're trying to watch. Who needs that? TV has gone to pot.

I bought a full set of Amos n' Andy shows on VHS from ebay about five years back and it has all the shows except a few that were lost. Loved that show. Night Gallery was another favorite and of course, the old Westerns that you do still see occasionally.

Edited by DAVID E

There's nothing on that I care about either. That's why I bought so many of the old tv shows on dvd. This way I can watch what I want when I want without the commercials and it's not the same show back to back for hours and hours.