Mrs. Bond

JAVA Updates - ???

Hi Broni and others ....................

Secunia is telling me that I need to update Oracle Java JRE 1.7x and 1.8x on both the 32 bit and the 64 bit.

I have already done the 1.8, but I "thought" (probably my "first" mistake - LOL) that with Java, you were to delete the previous versions when there was an update with something newer. Is that true, or am I in error?

Thanks!

I guess look in your Control Center and see if both Javas are installed first. Wait for a full time Windows user to respond if you have both still in there.

Here is some information on Java.

Perhaps the easiest way to tell whether or not you need Java is to first disable it entirely. If you regularly use an application or visit a Web site that requires Java, your system or the site will prompt you that you need to install or re-enable Java. You may find that you don't need it and don't miss it.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/disable-java-computer,news-18042.html

http://readwrite.com/2012/09/05/java-is-no-longer-needed-pull-the-plug-in

I have not had Java on my machine for years, and have never needed it.

You most likely won't miss it at all. I don't use it either, though I can't get rid of remnants on this particular machine, even with JavaRa removal tool. No biggie, sometime I'll try Revo Uninstaller.

1I8NXJwSaV18Bsmx7EXTAnVZgNLYgB1.jpg

WW Kenneth, GB2064, Shay, and r.a.d. .......................

WOW, you guys are full of good information and links for me to read ... THANKS BUNCHES to all of you!

I shall definitely get rid of 1.7 and disable 1.8 (even though it is updated).

I didn't know that disabling had to be done separately in EACH browser ... glad to have found out about that ... hope I can find it in IE as I have not used that at all on this W7 machine ... have used Chrome exclusively since Day 1.

Should be interesting to see "if" and "what" pops up in the future as something that "needs" the Java.

r.a.d. ............... I have checked the previous occurrence of a thread here about Java back in 2013 ... interesting reading ... thanks. Appreciate the mention of JavaRa ... I might need that if just using the Java UNinstall feature doesn't work.

Shay ................ Will use the Java Tester link you sent after I get rid of 1.7 and see what it tells me.

Some confusion also seems to come fro the naming of Java versus Java Script.

Java and Java Script are two completely different animals.

Java Script is used on almost every webpage, and contributes to their functionality.
http://www.enable-javascript.com/

If you use Firefox. a handy security software to use is "NoScript", it allows you to decide what script can be run on any given web page.

This helps prevent malware from infecting your machine by running script without your permission.

Several members here including myself use it.

https://noscript.net/

Edited by GB2064

I m another who uses No Script.

Hi GB2064 .............. Yeah, that is so confusing about the two Javas. I ran into some trouble a few months back because of that. "They" shouldn't be allowed to do that ... ought to be against the law! I know I have disabled the Java in my Chrome, but will check and make sure that my Java Script is OK.

I don't happen to currently use Firefox, but have kicked that idea around a bit and may decide to install it just as an option to the Chrome. I shall keep the "NoScript" you mention in mind though in case I need it at a later time. Thanks for that info.

Edited by Mrs. Bond